14 September 2010

From draft to panel

So I have been helping Clearwater Conservancy in designing a sign for the old McCoy Dam site between Bellefonte and Milesburg.  It's been an education, to be sure.  When they said we'd like 300 words and a couple pictures, I said sure before really thinking how few 300 words is (up to 'is', I've already typed 50 and said nothing!).  So then I set to work, and found that trying to do justice to both the Milesburg Ironworks and the Bald Eagle & Spring Creek Navigation canal in only 300 was nigh impossible (well, I could not do it).  So I wrote about 300 on each, chose some pictures (3 for each, as it turns out), and sent it in.

The panel designer did an amazing job compressing, but inevitably had to loose a great deal of information.  I don't envy their work, though I am amazed at what they had done.  So in the next two posts, you will see the original draft and info I sent in, and then the final (or near final) product.  The sign is to be installed before the snow falls, so go have a look a the site later this fall.  It's on the west side of the rte 144 half way between Bellefonte and Milesburg.  Apparently a good fishing spot now, and you can still see the old rolling mill foundation across the river.

Or, if you want to see what was there before the dam came out, have a look here.

No comments:

Post a Comment